IASP Mission: Working Together for Pain Relief throughout the World
IASP Vision: IASP brings together scientists, clinicians, health-care providers, industry leaders, and policymakers to stimulate and support the study of pain and translate that knowledge into pain relief worldwide.
- IASP must communicate its compelling value proposition and effectively engage all constituents in the association at all levels (members, volunteers, leaders, and industry advocates).
- IASP must establish financial equilibrium by developing a long-term plan that results in a balanced budget annually (particularly in non-congress years) within the next six years.
- IASP must harness organizational assets and strengths by fostering partnerships and collaboration with SIGs, chapters, and like-minded organizations.
- IASP must enhance working relationships with commercial interests.
In order to accomplish this, IASP will:
- Build a global community of experts from multiple disciplines to nurture collaboration, dialogue, and networking.
- Develop a web platform and digital presence to support our digital and content strategy in order to foster member engagement and deliver value to the pain community.
- Strengthen support for Special Interest Groups (SIGs) so they can deliver more member value. Support will include:
- Program and operational support
- Industry relations activities
- Online collaboration tools
- Development of new knowledge resources
- Grow IASP membership by collaborating with chapters, aggressively recruiting prospective members, and increasing overall retention rate.
- Assess the appropriateness and financial efficacy of various membership models.
- Communicate outcomes and impact metrics of all IASP grants and educational programs.
- Support a distribution hub for world-class science and evidence-based treatment to elevate the knowledge and education of members and the health-care community.
- Ensure that PAIN remains the worldwide market leader and the premier scientific journal in the pain field by sustaining annual progress on such key performance indicators as Impact Factor and time to first decision of submitted manuscripts.
- Ensure continued growth of PAIN Reports based on progress measured by performance indicators such as manuscript submissions and acceptances and award of indexing by PubMed Central. Explore opening the PAIN Reports portal to include the journals of regional and national organizations and SIGs; launch two such journals by the end of 2017.
- Sustain and broaden the book publishing pipeline of IASP Press to expand its offerings; finalize seven book contracts in 2017.
- Incorporate SIG content within IASP distribution channels, including the website and meetings, to enhance the dissemination of multidisciplinary research to the international pain community.
- Incorporate the Pain Research Forum into IASP’s digital presence and content channels to bolster member value and increase membership.
- Improve the capacity of IASP to produce, publish, and distribute more content for clinicians and other health-care providers.
- Elevate the Global Year brand and initiatives across IASP’s broader content distribution efforts.
- Advocate with IASP chapters and federations to advance the field and educate policymakers about the benefit to the public of effective pain treatment.
- Identify activities of affiliated scientific and other governmental and nongovernmental organizations with which IASP could engage and partner to advance advocacy initiatives.
- Engage chapters, SIGs, members, and larger pain community in field-testing scenarios to support changes to the International Classification of Diseases (via ICD-11) to include pain as a disease and a diagnosis.
- Enhance relationships and communications among chapters, SIGs, and federations to promote Global Year activities and coordinate advocacy work across the IASP community.
- Strengthen the capacity of IASP to support the mission and vision of the organization.
- Classify and track members’ engagement.
- Establish financial equilibrium by assessing all IASP activities and initiatives with an eye toward ROI measured by both financial metrics and member value.
- Assess the viability of a fundraising initiative and establish effective relationships with commercial entities in order to fully support IASP grant and fellowship programs, advocacy efforts, and other key initiatives that generate revenue and advance our mission.
- Establish and regularly monitor predetermined metrics tied to the strategic plan to determine if IASP is achieving its program and financial goals.
- Perform regular environmental scans to analyze the marketplace, competitive set, and current and future trends to ensure that IASP remains competitive and a thought-leader.
- Elevate IASP branding and digital presence to convey IASP’s value proposition, which will increase general awareness of the organization and build recognition of the IASP brand.