The Neuropathic Pain SIG (NeuPSIG) will advance the understanding of mechanisms, assessment, prevention, and treatment of neuropathic pain.
- Collaboration between basic and clinical research.
- The study of the underlying mechanisms of neuropathic pain.
- The exchange of information and experience about the assessment and treatment of neuropathic pain.
- The identification and implementation of programs to prevent the development of neuropathic pain.
- Furthering the educational objectives of the SIG via international meetings, an annual symposium, workshops at the IASP World Congress on Pain®, Congress satellite meetings, a newsletter, and the IASP website.
Neuropathic pain is pain caused by a lesion or disease of the somatosensory nervous system.
Specific entities of chronic neuropathic pain are included at the next level. According to the new concept of multiple parenting in ICD-11, these entities may be referred to from other divisions of the chronic pain classification, e.g., chronic posttraumatic pain or chronic secondary headaches and orofacial pains.