Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11)
Chronic pain affects an estimated 20 percent of people worldwide and accounts for nearly one-fifth of physician visits. One way to ensure that chronic pain receives greater attention as a global health priority is to improve the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) diagnostic classification.
In response to this need, IASP created an international task force of pain experts headed by past president Rolf-Detlef Treede that, in close cooperation with the World Health Organization (WHO), has developed a proposal for a systematic and pragmatic classification of chronic pain. This new classification of chronic pain has been implemented in the ICD-11 frozen version for preparing implementation. The ICD-11 was approved on May 25, 2019. It will come into effect on January 1st, 2022.
Definitions of Chronic Pain Syndromes
July-August 2016: Pilot field testing of the ICD-11 chronic pain classification
July-August 2017: Field testing of the ICD-11 chronic pain classification in cooperation with the WHO
18 June 2018: The ICD-11 version for preparing implementation is released, it includes the new chronic pain codes.
25 May 2019: The World Health Assembly approved the ICD-11.
1 January 2022: The ICD-11 will come into effect.
- ICD-11 Information Sheet: Describes the purpose and uses of the International Classification of Diseases.
- FAQs on the ICD Revision: Describes why ICD is important, who uses it, and why it is being revised.
- ICD-11 for Mortality and Morbidity Statistics: Allows you to open a browser to review the ICD-11 version for preparing implementation.
- ICD-11 Reference Guide: The reference guide explains how to use the ICD-11 and what is new.
- ICD-11 Maintenance Platform: Comment on the ICD-11 proposals
- ICD-11 Implementation or Transition Guide: This guide gives further information on the ICD-11 and how it will be implemented.
Articles & Press Releases:
- Press Release: New Diagnostic Codes for Chronic Pain Approved Under ICD-11
- Pain, coded: Article from The Telegraph published 3 November 2019
- A Classification of Chronic Pain for ICD-11
- Chronic Pain as a Symptom or a Disease: The IASP Classification of Chronic Pain for the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11)
- Chronic Primary Pain
- Chronic Cancer-Related Pain
- Chronic Postsurgical or Posttraumatic Pain
- Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Chronic Secondary Headache or Orofacial Pain
- Chronic Secondary Visceral Pain
- Chronic Secondary Musculoskeletal Pain
- Functioning Properties of Chronic Pain
- Applicability in Primary Care
- Pilot Field Testing of the Chronic Pain Classification for ICD-11: The Results of Ecological Coding
- Confronting Pain at Its Core: Article published 3 March 2020
- Establishing Recognition for the Chronic Pain Community
- A Major Undertaking to Understand Pain