Articles and Press Releases
Click below to see the latest articles and press releases:
- Press Release: New Diagnostic Codes for Chronic Pain Approved Under ICD-11
- Pain, coded: Article from The Telegraph published 3 November 2019
- A Classification of Chronic Pain for ICD-11
- Chronic Pain as a Symptom or a Disease: The IASP Classification of Chronic Pain for the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11)
- Chronic Primary Pain
- Chronic Cancer-Related Pain
- Chronic Postsurgical or Posttraumatic Pain
- Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Chronic Secondary Headache or Orofacial Pain
- Chronic Secondary Visceral Pain
- Chronic Secondary Musculoskeletal Pain
- Functioning Properties of Chronic Pain
- Applicability in Primary Care
- Pilot Field Testing of the Chronic Pain Classification for ICD-11: The Results of Ecological Coding
- Confronting Pain at Its Core: Article published 3 March 2020
- Establishing Recognition for the Chronic Pain Community
- A Major Undertaking to Understand Pain
- Evaluation of the International Classification of Diseases-11 chronic pain classification: study protocol for an ecological implementation field study in low-, middle-, and high-income countries
- Letter to the Editor: Diagnosis of chronic primary pain in the context of structural deformity needs better definition
- Letter to the Editor: Diagnosis of chronic primary pain in the context of structural deformity needs better definition – Reply
- Letter to the Editor: Fibromyalgia as a chronic primary pain syndrome: issues to discuss
- Letter to the Editor: Fibromyalgia as a chronic primary pain syndrome: issues to discuss – Reply
- Letter to the Editor: Vulvodynia: a neglected chronic pain diagnosis
- Letter to the Editor: Vulvodynia: a neglected chronic pain diagnosis – Reply
- Letter to the Editor: Chronic primary pain: a pain-centered view of the world is too narrow
- Letter to the Editor: Chronic primary pain: a pain-centered view of the world is too narrow – Reply
- Comparing the ICD-11 chronic pain classification with ICD-10: how can the new coding system make chronic pain visible? A study in a tertiary care pain clinic setting
- Classification algorithm for the International Classification of Diseases-11 chronic pain classification: development and results from a preliminary pilot evaluation
- Evidence- and consensus-based adaption of the IASP complex regional pain syndrome diagnostic criteria to the ICD-11 category of chronic primary pain: a successful cooperation of the IASP with the World Health Organization
- Classification of chronic pain for the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11): results of the 2017 international World Health Organization field testing
- Reliability and clinical utility of the chronic pain classification in the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases from a global perspective: results from India, Cuba, and New Zealand
- Chronic pain in the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases: users' questions answered
- Pain severity ratings in the 11th revision of the International Classification of Diseases: a versatile tool for rapid assessment
Find the link to all WHO ICD-11 resources and materials
ICD-11 explained by the WHO
Learn about ICD-11, it’s purposes and use cases.
WHO’s universe of code entities for ICD-11, ICF, and ICHI
WHO ICD-11 Training
Learn about the ICD-11 in general with the material provided by the World Health Organization
ICD-11 Coding Tool
Facilitates the coding process
ICD-11 User Guide
Explains how to use the ICD-11
ICD-11 Information Sheet
Describes the purpose and uses of the International Classification of Diseases.
FAQs on the ICD Revision
Describes why ICD is important, who uses it, and why it is being revised.
ICD-11 Reference Guide
The reference guide explains how to use the ICD-11 and what is new.
ICD-11 Maintenance Platform
Comment on the ICD-11 proposals
ICD-11 Implementation or Transition Guide
This guide gives further information on the ICD-11 and how it will be implemented.
Pilot field testing of the ICD-11 chronic pain classification.
Field testing of the ICD-11 chronic pain classification in cooperation with the WHO.
18 June 2018
The ICD-11 version for preparing implementation is released, it includes the new chronic pain codes.
25 May 2019
The World Health Assembly approved the ICD-11.
1 January 2022
The ICD-11 came into effect for global mortality reporting.
- Definitions of Chronic Pain Syndromes
- Structure of the ICD-11 Classification