I am a
Home I AM A Search Login

Papers of the Week

2022 Dec 14

J Pers Med



Clinical-Epidemiology of Tension-Type Headache among the Medical and Dental Undergraduates of King Khalid University, Abha, Saudi Arabia.


Sabah Z U, Aziz S, Narapureddy B R, Alasiri H AA, Asiri H YM, Asiri A HH, Alsulami A AH, Hassan N K A, Asif S M, Alsyd S M
J Pers Med. 2022 Dec 14; 12(12).
PMID: 36556284.


: Headache is the primary complaint among students. Headaches mostly have multifactorial causes. The degree of headache severity significantly impacts attitudes, behavior, and academic performance. : Here, we investigate the demographic epidemiology of tension-type headaches (T.T.H.), and determine the clinical presentation and triggers of the tension-type among headache sufferers. An institutional-based cross-sectional study (descriptive) was conducted on the medical and dental undergraduates at King Khalid University, Abha, Saudi Arabia, from 1 July 2021 to 31 December 2021. Data were gathered using a pre-designed questionnaire. A consecutive sampling method was used in a COVID-19-constrained environment. After preliminary screening of the study population, 460 samples were included. An electronic questionnaire was shared with them, and they were requested to respond. More than half of the participants (258, 56.1%) experienced tension-type headaches, while the remaining 202 (43.9%) never felt a headache. Tension-type headaches manifested as heaviness of the head (44, 17.0%), tightness (126, 48.8%), and dull aching pain (66, 25.7%). T.T.H. is a prevalent condition with a significant impingement on academic work, and psychological health. Tension-type headache sufferers are advised to keep daily diaries to determine triggers, and plan for prevention and treatment progression.