IASP is currently seeking a Publications Manager to join our team. The successful candidate will work closely with IASP’s Associate Director of Publications, volunteer leaders, and other subject matter experts to efficiently manage, coordinate, and produce scientific content for IASP’s publications. Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Publications, this position is responsible for facilitating and expediting the publication process.
- Research, write, and develop scientific content for Pain Research Forum (PRF), under the direction of the PRF Editorial Board.
- Curate and disseminate vetted scientific content and resources and provide insight to inform IASP’s scientific content strategy, management of knowledge resources, and strategies to keep information current and relevant.
- Coordinate daily publications department operations, including those of PRF; collaborate with external authors to develop scientific content and provide substantive editorial support for the PRF Editorial Board.
- Administer a weekly review highlighting the most impactful literature in pain research and management.
- Assist IASP Senior Staff and volunteer leaders in the development of strategy presentations and recommendations; identify core stories that help support association positioning.
- In coordination with IASP’s Education and Events Department, coordinate and schedule regular webinars presenting cutting edge scientific findings in the field of pain.
- Manage and facilitate the PRF Correspondents’ program.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of all clinical and scientific content, review and approve all clinical copy and imagery.
- Provide feedback for marketing and communications to ensure that imagery is scientifically accurate, on message, and target-audience appropriate, as well as compile a monthly newsletter.
- Provide direction for writers by producing outlines or first drafts of copy for highly technical subjects and/or clinically oriented pieces, and by conducting and helping direct literature searches and defining content sources for writers.
- Manage Publications Department meetings (e.g., organizing and leading regular conference calls, drafting agendas, developing meeting materials, drafting and archiving meeting minutes, and facilitating the development and execution of annual publication plans).
- Maintain a database of author contacts and disclosures.
- Manage copyright permission requests as necessary across all publications.
- Assist in the development and sharing of writing and publication best practices.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of all projects.
- Work with and contribute to project team to complete projects.
- Assist with departmental financial responsibilities, such as the yearly budget, forecasting, expense reports, and billing.
- Facilitate grant proposals and reporting; solicit individual donations when appropriate.
- Analyze internal data including, but not limited to, website traffic and programming evaluations.
- Additional duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree (MS, MA, MPh, MPH, MEng) in a scientific field with 2+ years of experience working in either an academic setting, a scholarly publication, or medical writing group.
- Strong scientific foundation with the capability to understand pain science.
- Ability to communicate complex scientific concepts clearly and at appropriate levels to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to facilitate grant proposals and reporting.
- Experience in managing projects and budgets.
- Strong focus on flexibility, ability to multi-task, attention to detail, excellent organizational and time-management skills, good follow-up, and judgment.
- Strong verbal and writing skills, with a demonstrated record of scientific/medical publications.
- Familiarity with reading and understanding scientific literature and proficiency with conducting basic searches in scientific literature databases (e.g., MEDLINE, OVID, EMBASE).
- Experienced with fact-checking and copy-editing.
- Ability to network and partner with external constituents, including scientific thought leaders, academic institutions, research labs, funders, etc.
- Awareness of compliance issues and guidelines for medical and scientific publications practice (ICMJE, COPE, GPP3, etc.).
- Experience with learning management systems a plus.
- Experience with continuing medical education accreditation a plus.
- Proficiency in survey creation and evaluation a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
SALARY RANGE: $70,000-$80,000 USD Annually
APPLICATION: Please submit your resume to Traci Butler at email@example.com no later than 25 August 2023.