Find lists of organizations and publications devoted to living with pain, research, clinical practice, and education.
General Resources and Search Strategies
- The ISRCTN Register
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome by Marc Russo, MBBS, DA(UK)FANZCA, FFPMFANZCA
- Intrathecal Drug Delivery Systems by Nancy Garcia; reviewed by Gladstone C. McDowell II, MD
- Painful Peripheral Neuropathy reviewed by Nick Christelis, MBBCH, FRCA
- Spinal Cord Stimulation by Simon Thomson, MBBS, FRCA, FIPP, FFPMRCA
- ASRA Neuromodulation Resources
- UCLA Neurosurgery Resources
- ANZCA Neuromodulation Resources
- QPain Resources
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
- The Evolution of Neuromodulation in the Treatment of Chronic Pain: Forward-Looking Perspectives
- Neuroenhancement Lab
- NEUROMODULATION and Neural interface
Publications and Online References
These academic journals and other publications focus on specific areas of pain research, treatment, education, and clinical practice.
- Katz N, Dworkin RH, North R, Thomson S, Eldabe S, Hayek SM, et al. Research design considerations for randomized controlled trials of spinal cord stimulation for pain: IMMPACT/ION/INS recommendations. Pain. 2021. Ahead of print.
- Petersen EA, Stauss TG, Scowcroft JA, Brooks ES, White JL, Sills SM, et al. Effect of High-frequency (10-kHz) Spinal Cord Stimulation in Patients With Painful Diabetic Neuropathy. JAMA Neurology. 2021.
- Ilfeld BM, Plunkett A, Vijjeswarapu AM, Hackworth R, Dhanjal S, Turan A, et al. Percutaneous Peripheral Nerve Stimulation (Neuromodulation) for Postoperative Pain: A Randomized, Sham-controlled Pilot Study. Anesthesiology. 2021.
- Gilligan C, Volschenk W, Russo M, Green M, Gilmore C, Mehta V, et al. An implantable restorative-neurostimulator for refractory mechanical chronic low back pain. Pain. 2021;
- Monsalve PsyD, J. A de Andres MD, et al. Application of a Psychological Decision Algorithm for the Selection of Patients Susceptible to Implantation of Neuromodulation Systems for the Treatment of Chronic Pain. A Proposal V
- McCarron, Tamara L.et al. Patients' experience with and perspectives on neuromodulation for pain: a systematic review of the qualitative research literatura. PAIN 2020
- Mark N. Malinowski, Sameer Jain, et al. Spinal cord stimulation for the treatment of neuropathic pain: expert opinion and 5-year Outlook
- Colin Green PhD, Sam S. Eldabe et al. Resource Use and Cost of Subcutaneous Nerve Stimulation Versus Optimized Medical Management in Patients With Failed Back Surgery Syndrome: An Analysis of the SubQStim Study. 2021
- Philippe Rigoard, Kliment Gatzinsky, et al. A Consensus Statement on Definition and Outlines for Patient Assessment", Pain Research and Management, 2019,
- Eldabe S, Duarte RV, Gulve A, Thomson S, Baranidharan G, Houten R, et al. Does a screening trial for spinal cord stimulation in patients with chronic pain of neuropathic origin have clinical utility and cost-effectiveness (TRIAL-STIM)? A randomised controlled trial. Pain. 2020;161(12):2820-9.
- Eldabe S, Duarte R, Gulve A, Williams H, Garner F, Brookes M, et al. Analgesic Efficacy of "Burst" and Tonic (500 Hz) Spinal Cord Stimulation Patterns: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study. Neuromodulation. 2020.
- Duarte RV, Sale A, Desai P, Marshall T, Eldabe S. The Unmet Need for Intrathecal Drug Delivery Pumps for the Treatment of Cancer Pain in England: An Assessment of the Hospital Episode Statistics Database. Neuromodulation. 2020.
External Neuromodulation Bibliography
This bibliography was constructed with assistance from IASP members to help people with basic research into important pain topics:
- Bikson M, Paneri B, Mourdoukoutas A, Esmaeilpour Z, Badran BW, Azzam R, Adair D, Datta A, Fang XH, Wingeier B, Chao D, Alonso-Alonso M, Lee K, Knotkova H, Woods AJ, Hagedorn D, Jeffery D, Giordano J, Tyler WJ. Limited output transcranial electrical stimulation (LOTES-2017): Engineering principles, regulatory statutes, and industry standards for wellness, over-the-counter, or prescription devices with low risk. Brain Stimul. 2018, 11(1):134-57 PMID: 29122535.
- Esmaeilpour Z, Marangolo P, Hampstead BM, Bestmann S, Galletta E, Knotkova H, Bikson M. Incomplete evidence that increasing current intensity of tDCS boosts outcomes. Brain Stimul. 2018 Mar - Apr;11(2):310-321.
- Riggs A, Breuer B, Patel V, Harounian J, Chen J, Dhingra L, Portenoy RK, Knotkova H. Pain burden among patients receiving community-based specialist level palliative care: A retrospective sectional analysis. Palliative Support Care, 2018, 26:1-7.
- Knotkova H, Riggs A, Berisha D, Borges H, Bernstein H, Patel V, Truong D, Unal G, Arce D, Datta A, Bikson M. Automatic M1-SO montage headgear for transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) suitable for home and high-throughput in-clinic applications. Neuromodulation: Technology at Neural Interface 2019 Dec;22(8):904-910. PMID: 29762886.
- Riggs A, Patel V, Paneri B, Portenoy RK, Bikson M, Knotkova H. At-Home transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) with telehealth support for symptom control in chronically ill patients with multiple symptoms. Frontiers in Behavioral Science 2018, 12:93-97.
- Bikson M, Esmaeilpour Z, Adair D, Kronberg G, Tyler WJ, Antal A, Datta A,Sabel BA, Nitsche MA, Loo C, Edwards D, Ekhtiari H, Knotkova H, Woods AJ, Hampstead BM, Badran BW, Peterchev AV. Transcranial electrical stimulation nomenclature. Brain Stimul. 2019 Nov - Dec;12(6):1349-1366.
- Im JJ, Jeong H, Bikson M, Woods AJ, Unal G, Oh JK, Na S, Park JS, Knotkova H, Song IU, Chung YA. Effects of long-term transcranial direct current stimulation on cognitive function and cerebral glucose metabolism in Alzheimer’s disease: a 6-month prospective study. Brain Stimulation, 2019, Brain Stimul. 2019 Sep - Oct;12(5):1222-1228.
- Borges H, Dufau A, Paneri B, Woods AJ, Knotkova H, Bikson M. Modern technique for Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation. JOVE, 2020, Jan 3;(155). doi:10.3791/59204.
Charvet LE, Shaw MT, Bikson M, Woods AJ, Knotkova H. Supervised transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) at home: A guide for clinical research and practice. Brain Stimul. 2020;13(3):686‐693.
- Bikson M, Hanlon CA, Woods AJ, Gillick BT, Charvet L, Lamm C, Madeo G, Holczer A, Almeida J, Antal A, Ay MR, Baeken C, Blumberger DM, Campanella S, Camprodon JA, Christiansen L, Loo C, Crinion JT, Fitzgerald P, Gallimberti L, Ghobadi-Azbari P, Ghodratitoostani I, Grabner RH, Hartwigsen G, Hirata A, Kirton A, Knotkova H, Krupitsky E, Marangolo P, Nakamura-Palacios EM, Potok W, Praharaj SK, Ruff CC, Schlaug G, Siebner HR, Stagg CJ, Thielscher A, Wenderoth N, Yuan TF, Zhang X, Ekhtiari H. Guidelines for TMS/tES clinical services and research through the COVID-19 pandemic [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 12]. Brain Stimul. 2020;13(4):1124‐1149.
Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (eds): “Practical Guide to Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation: Principles, Procedures and Applications”, Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Grossman P, Woods AJ, Knotkova H, Bikson M. Safety of transcranial Direct Current Stimulation. Ch 6 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Hamilton RH, Kessler SK, Fregni F, Loo C, Castillo L, Martin D, Knotkova H, and Woods AJ Methodological Considerations for tDCS in Clinical Trials. Ch 13 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Jaberzadeh S, Martin D, Knotkova H, Woods AJ: Methodological considerations for selection of tDCS approach, protocol and device. Ch 7 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Knotkova H, Nitsche MA, Polania R: tDCS modulation of neurophysiological functional outcomes - neurophysiological principles and rationale. Ch 5 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Knotkova H, L. Charvet, A. Riggs, M. Stevens, K. Krull, M. Bikson. Specifics of home-based patient-delivered remotely-supervised tDCS. Ch 14 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Knotkova H, J. Borckardt, A. Riggs, A. DaSilva. tDCS potential for pain management. Ch 19 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Nitsche M, Knotkova H, Woods AJ, Bikson M. Challenges, open questions and future direction in tDCS research and applications. Ch 22 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Woods AJ, Knotkova H, Riggs A, Truong D, Bikson M. Stimulation parameters and their reporting. Ch 8 in Knotkova, Nitsche, Bikson, Woods (Eds): Practical guide to transcranial direct current stimulation – Principles, Procedures and Applications. Springer Publishing, 2019.
- Katz, N., Dworkin, R.H., North, R., Thomson, S., Eldabe, S., Hayek, S.M., Kopell, B.H., Markman, J., Rezai, A., Taylor, R.S. and Turk, D.C., 2021. Research design considerations for randomized controlled trials of spinal cord stimulation for pain: IMMPACT/ION/INS recommendations. Pain.
- Duarte, Rui V.a,*; Nevitt, Saraha; McNicol, Ewanb,c; Taylor, Rod S.d,e; Buchser, Ericf; North, Richard B.g; Eldabe, Samh Systematic review and meta-analysis of placebo/sham controlled randomised trials of spinal cord stimulation for neuropathic pain, PAIN: January 2020 - Volume 161 - Issue 1 - p 24-35 doi: 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001689
- Joosten, E.A. and Franken, G. Spinal cord stimulation in chronic neuropathic pain: mechanism of action, new locations and new paradigms. Pain 2020 Sep;161 Suppl 1(1):S104-S113. doi: 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001854.
- Heijmans, L. and Joosten, E.A. Mechanisms and mode of action of spinal cord stimulation in chronic neuropathic pain. . Postgrad Med. 2020 Nov;132(sup3):17-21. doi: 10.1080/00325481.2020.1769393.
- Miller, J.P., Eldabe, S., Buchser, E., Johanek, L.M., Guan, Y., Linderoth, B. Parameters of Spinal Cord Stimulation and Their Role in Electrical Charge Delivery: A Review. Neuromodulation 2016 19: 373–384 doi: 10.1111/ner.12438
Pain Outcomes Measurement
- AMERICAN SOCIETY OF PAIN AND NEUROSCIENCE
- Eshraghi Y, Chakravarthy K, Strand NH, Shirvalkar P, Schuster NM, Abdallah RT, Vallejo R, Sayed D, Kim D, Kim C, Meacham K, Deer T. The American Society of Pain and Neuroscience (ASPN) Practical Guidelines to Study Design and Scientific Manuscript Preparation in Neuromodulation. J Pain Res. 2021;14:1027-1041
- A Systematic Evaluation of Burst Spinal Cord Stimulation for Chronic Back and Limb Pain
Saiyun Hou MD, PhD, Kenneth Kemp MD, Martin Grabois MD. 2016.
Neuromodulation . 2016 Jun;19(4):398-405.
- Neuromodulation in intractable pain management: outcomes and predictors of revisions of spinal cord stimulators Shyamal C. Bir, MD, PhD, Subhas Konar, MCh, Tanmoy Maiti, MD, MCh, Anil Nanda, MD, MPH, and Bharat Guthikonda, MD Neurosurg Focus 40 (5):E4, 2016
- Zegrea, A., Kirss, J., Pinta, T. et al. Outcomes of sacral neuromodulation for chronic pelvic pain: a Finnish national multicenter study. Tech Coloproctol 24, 215–220 (2020).
- Michael A Fishman, MD, Ajay Antony, MD, Michael Esposito, MD, Timothy Deer, MD, Robert Levy, MD, PHD, The Evolution of Neuromodulation in the Treatment of Chronic Pain: Forward-Looking Perspectives, Pain Medicine, Volume 20, Issue Supplement_1, June 2019, Pages S58–S68,
- Jensen, M., Day, M. & Miró, J. Neuromodulatory treatments for chronic pain: efficacy and mechanisms. Nat Rev Neurol 10, 167–178 (2014).
Cost-effectiveness of Neuromodulation in Pain
- Hoelscher, Christian; Riley, Jonathan; Wu, Chengyuan; Sharan, Ashwini. Spine, Volume 42, Supplement 14, 15 July 2017, pp. S72-S79(8)
- Cost Effectiveness of Intrathecal Therapy for Pain. Gerhard Mueller-Schwefe MD, Samuel J. Hassenbusch MD, PhD, Enrique Reig MD. Volume2, Issue2, April 1999 : 77-87
- A review of spinal cord stimulation systems for chronic pain Paul Verrills, Chantelle Sinclair, Adele Barnard. J Pain Res. 2016; 9: 481–492. Published online 2016 Jul 1.
- Pietzsch JB, Garner A, Gaul C, May A. Cost-effectiveness of stimulation of the sphenopalatine ganglion (SPG) for the treatment of chronic cluster headache: a model-based analysis based on the Pathway CH-1 study. J Headache Pain. 2015;16:530. doi:10.1186/s10194-015-0530-8
- Taylor RS, Bentley A, Campbell B, Murphy K. High-frequency 10 kHz Spinal Cord Stimulation for Chronic Back and Leg Pain: Cost-consequence and Cost-effectiveness Analyses. Clin J Pain. 2020;36(11):852-861. doi:10.1097/AJP.0000000000000866
- Zucco F, Ciampichini R, Lavano A, et al. Cost-Effectiveness and Cost-Utility Analysis of Spinal Cord Stimulation in Patients With Failed Back Surgery Syndrome: Results From the PRECISE Study. Neuromodulation. 2015;18(4):266-276. doi:10.1111/ner.12292
- Eldabe S, Duarte RV, Gulve A, et al. Does a screening trial for spinal cord stimulation in patients with chronic pain of neuropathic origin have clinical utility and cost-effectiveness (TRIAL-STIM)? A randomised controlled trial. Pain. 2020;161(12):2820-2829.
- Niyomsri S, Duarte RV, Eldabe S, Fiore G, Kopell BH, McNicol E, et al. A Systematic Review of Economic Evaluations Reporting the Cost-Effectiveness of Spinal Cord Stimulation. Value Health. 2020.
Multimedia resources are increasing continuously, SIGN is working about multimedia resources focused on research experiences, techniques and education.
ANZCA Neuromodulation Resources
Neuromodulation PR Wires
Here are more organizations that specialize in pain research, treatment, clinical practice and education.
Resources for Patients Living with Pain and Neuromodulation Devices
This list of resources may help individuals who are living with pain expecting for treatment with neuromodulation.