The Ethical and Legal Issues in Pain (ELIP) Special Interest Group aims to draw together those involved in the legal process surrounding the subject of pain and has the following objectives:
- To establish an international forum to discuss clinical and legal issues in pain.
- To act as a forum for airing views about clinicians and patients’ difficulties in the different legal/health care systems.
- To provide guidelines reflecting the need to produce well-structured and clinically comprehensive reports for legal purposes.
- To ensure adequate attention is given to pain diagnosis, management, and treatment.
- To act as a resource to those who act only occasionally.
- To produce and maintain an updated bibliography of relevant articles.