The SIG on Ethical and Legal Issues in Pain aims to draw together those involved in the legal process surrounding the subject of pain and has the following objectives:
- To establish an international forum for the wider discussion of clinical and legal issues in pain.
- To act as a forum for airing views about the difficulties encountered by clinicians and patients in the different legal/health care systems.
- To provide guidelines reflecting the need to produce well-structured and clinically comprehensive reports for legal purposes.
- To ensure that adequate attention is given to pain diagnosis, management, and treatment.
- To act as a resource to those who act only on an occasional basis.
- To produce and maintain an updated bibliography on relevant articles.