The SIG on Abdominal and Pelvic Pain aims to:
- Provide a forum for members to engage in discussion on the diagnosis and management of pain perceived in the Abdominal and Pelvic areas.
- Promote a multidisciplinary approach to patients with abdominal and pelvic pain. Including the development of global guidelines, in which pain, its associated distress, physical disability and associated disorders are the central subject, independent of the medical specialties (e.g. urology, gynecology and gastro-enterology)
- Provide guidance for training in pain management in abdominal and pelvic pain and for clinics that deliver this management.
- Disseminate up to date knowledge of abdominal and pelvic pain by setting up educational programs for patients and caregivers.
- Implement modern systems (e.g. web-based maps) to propagate the guidelines for daily use in patient care.
- Support and develop educational initiatives (including meetings) to disseminate the issues around these pains to a broader audience.