The Abdominal and Pelvic Pain Special Interest Group aims to:
- Provide a forum for members to discuss the diagnosis and management of pain perceived in the abdominal and pelvic areas.
- Promote a multidisciplinary approach to patients with abdominal and pelvic pain. Including the development of global guidelines in which pain, its associated distress, physical disability, and associated disorders are the central subject, independent of the medical specialties (e.g., urology, gynecology, and gastroenterology).
- Provide guidance for training in pain management in abdominal and pelvic pain and for clinics that deliver this management.
- Disseminate up-to-date abdominal and pelvic pain knowledge by setting up educational programs for patients and caregivers.
- Implement modern systems (e.g., web-based maps) to propagate the guidelines for daily use in patient care.
- Support and develop educational initiatives (including meetings) to disseminate the issues around these pains to a broader audience.