The SIG on Acute Pain advances and promotes the understanding of mechanisms, assessment, prevention, and management of acute pain through the following activities:
- Collaboration between basic and clinical research.
- Study of the underlying mechanisms of acute pain, including the transition from acute to chronic pain, and the implications of acute pain therapy for clinical outcome and quality of life.
- Exchange of guideline developments, its methodology and implementation strategies.
- Exchange of information and experience about the assessment and treatment of acute pain, both within IASP and in exchanges with other national and international NGOs such as the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists.
- Identification and implementation of programs to minimize the development of acute pain and related suffering.
- Furthering the educational objectives of the SIG via international meetings, an annual symposium, workshops at IASP World Congresses, Congress satellite meetings, a newsletter, and the IASP website.
- Preventing Chronification of Acute Pain and Its Consequences
4 August 2020 | Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Acute Pain Pre-EFIC Event
Pain After Surgery in Vulnerable Patients
September 3, 2019| Valencia, Spain
- 11th Congress of the European Pain Federation EFIC
September 4-7, 2019| Valencia, Spain
- September 12-16, 2018| Boston, MA
APSIG Satellite Meeting at the 17th World Congress on Pain
- September 5, 2017| Copenhagen, Denmark
"Pain After Surgery," satellite symposium at the 10th Congress of the European Pain Federation EFIC. View Minutes
- September 25, 2016| Yokohama, Japan
"Are Perioperative Opioids Obsolete?" official satellite symposium of the 16th World Congress on Pain. View Minutes
View Video Playlist
- August 26, 2012| Milan, Italy
"The Challenges of Acute Pain Management," official satellite symposium of the 14th World Congress on Pain
Follow the steps below to access the Acute Pain SIG online discussion forum, Groupsite:
- Login into your IASP account
- Click on "My Account"
- Scroll down to "My Group Memberships"
- Click on your listed SIG - "Acute Pain"
Join the Acute Pain SIG conversation on Twitter! Follow the Acute Pain SIG @APSIGI
Recent Publications from the APSIG Committee and Members
- Transition from Acute to Chronic Pain After Surgery
Lavand’homme Patricia | PAIN 158:S50-S54, April 2017.
- Postoperative Pain - from Mechanisms to Treatment
Pogatzki-Zahn Esther M. Segelcke Daniel Schug, Stephan A. | PAIN Reports. 2(2):e588, March/April 2017
- Efficacy and Safety of Buprenorphine in Peripheral Nerve Blocks: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
Schnabel A, Reichl SU, Zahn PK et al. | European Journal of Anaesthesiology 34(9):576-586. Sept 2017
- Risk Stratification for the Development of Chronic Postsurgical Pain
Schug Stephan A., Bruce Julie | PAIN Reports. 2(6):e627, November/December 2017.
- Acute Pain Management in Patients with Drug Dependence Syndrome
Quinlan Jane, Cox Felicia | PAIN Reports. 2(4):e611, July/August 2017
- Fentanyl Formulations in the Management of Acute Pain: An Update
Schug SA, Ting S | Drugs 77 (7): 747-763 May 2017
- Pregabalin Versus Placebo in Targeting Pro-nociceptive Mechanisms to Prevent Chronic Pain After Whiplash Injury in at-risk Individuals – a Feasibility Study for a Randomized Controlled Trial
Nikles Jane, Keijzers Gerben, Mitchell Geoffrey Keith, Schug Stephan, et al. | Trials 19(1), December 2018
- Opioid Analgesic Dependence: Where Do We Go from Here?
Quinlan Jane, Alam Farrukh. Knox Kyle | British Journal of General Practice 16 (657) 154-155 2017
- Comparison of Intraperitoneal Nebulization of Ropivacaine with Ropivacaine-Fentanyl Combination for Pain Control Following Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
Bhatia Nidhi, Mehta Swati, Saini Vikas, Ghai Babita et al. | Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques 28(7) February 2018
- Landmark Papers in PAIN
Farquhar-Smith Paul, Beaulieu Pierre, Jaggar Siân | Oxford University Press 2018
- Pain After Surgery
Carr Daniel B, Arendt-Neilesen L, Vissers Kris CP | IASP Wolters Kluwer 2019
- Improving perioperative pain management: a preintervention and postintervention study in 7 developing countries
Zaslansky, Ruth; Chapman, C. Richard; Baumbach, Philipp; Bytyqi, Adem; Castro Lopes, José M.; Chetty, Sean; Kopf, Andreas; Li, Li; Ern Ming, Lim; Olawoye, Olayinka; Rizza Parico, Jane; Soyannwo, Olaitan; Stamenkovic, Dusica; Wang, Hongwei; Meissner, Winfried | PAIN Reports: January/February 2019 - Volume 4 - Issue 1 - p e705
- Current methods and challenges for acute pain clinical trials
Gilron, Ian; Carr, Daniel B; Desjardins, Paul J; Kehlet, Henrik | PAIN Reports: May/June 2019 - Volume 4 - Issue 3 - p e647
- Opioid prescribing trends and geographical variation in England, 1998-2018: a retrospective database study.
Curtis HJ, Croker R, Walker AJ, Richards GC, Quinlan J, Goldacre B | Lancet Psychiatry. 2019 Feb;6(2):140-150
- Low Haemoglobin at Admission is Associated with Mortality after Hip Fractures in Elderly Patients
Yombi JC, Putineanu DC, Cornu O, Lavand'homme P, Cornette P | Bone Joint J. 2019 Sep;101-B(9):1122-1128
Benefits of Membership
Interested in joining a SIG? Become an IASP member! Learn about the many benefits of IASP membership.Learn More