Pain and Placebo
The SIG on Placebo aims to:
- Gather all available scientific data on placebo in its various aspects and manifestations.
- Define the subject of placebo in pain research.
- Evaluate placebo and its effects in the treatment of pain.
- Stimulate the international study of placebo and its phenomena as a possibly useful mechanism.
"Placebo Symposium: Harnessing Placebo Mechanisms to Improve Clinical Outcomes." Pain Management Research Institute, University of Sydney and IASP SIG on Placebo.
This is a unique, clinically-focused international symposium featuring experts from Germany, USA, Portugal and Australia.
Date: Friday, November17 and Saturday, November 18, 2017
Time: Day 1: 10:00am-9:30pm (9:30am for registration); Day 2: 9am-5pm
Location: Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific Hotel, 55 North Steyne, Manly, Sydney NSW 2095, Australia
Cost: Please see our website for details. Early-bird, IASP, Placebo SIG member and Australian University student rates available.
Catering: Morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, social hour drinks and canapés and a working dinner with keynote speaker Prof. Daniel Moerman are included.
- Improve your outcomes by enhancing the "placebo component" of routine care (even if a "placebo" is not given).
- Learn about improving outcomes by augmenting the influence of the therapeutic context.
- Early-bird, IASP member, Placebo SIG member and Australian University student rates available.
- An interactive, interdisciplinary event exploring the application of mind-brain and behavioural sciences to the bedside.
- Includes a working dinner with keynote speaker Prof. Daniel Moerman and participation in a (blinded) tasting of fine wine from Elderton Estate, Barossa.
- A certificate of completion is offered to symposium participants and CPD points are available.
Our international and local expert speakers include:
- Prof. Daniel E. Moerman, University of Michigan-Dearborn, USA
- Prof. Winfried Rief, Phillips University of Marburg, Germany
- Prof. Paul Enck, University Hospital Tubingen, Germany
- A/Prof. Luana Colloca, University of Maryland, USA & The University of Sydney
- A/Prof. Cláudia Carvalho, ISPA Instituto Universitario, Lisbon, Portugal
- A/Prof. Damien Finniss, Griffith University and The University of Sydney
- Dr. Kate Fraasse, UNSW
- Prof. Roland Sussex, The University of Queensland
- Prof. Michael Nicholas, The University of Sydney
- Prof. Stewart Dunn, The University of Sydney
- Dr. Ben Colagiuri, The University of Sydney
- Dr. Claire Ashton-James, The University of Sydney
- Dr. Gavin Patullo, Royal North Shore Hospital
Registrations will close on Friday, November 3, 2017.
This symposium is presented by the Pain Management Research Institute at The University of Sydney in association with the IASP Placebo Special Interest Group.
August 26, 2012, Milano Convention Centre, Milan, Italy
“Placebo Effects: Can They Be Enhanced in Clinical Practice?” Official Satellite Symposium of the 14th World Congress on Pain
Click Here to access the Pain and Placebo SIG Groupsite (you must log in with your IASP credentials).
IASP members can use the Online Membership Directory to locate contact information for the SIG officers.
Members of the general public should contact IASP at email@example.com with inquiries about the SIG.
Officers [Term 2018-2022]
Chair: Luana Colloca (USA)
Vice Chair: Andrea Evers (Netherlands)
Past Chair/Treasurer: Damien Finniss (Australia)
Benefits of Membership
Interested in joining a SIG? Become an IASP member! Learn about the many benefits of IASP membership.Learn More