Council Position No4 Candidate: Fabian C Piedimonte, MD, FIPP.
Current professional title(s) and affiliation(s)
Professor of Anatomy School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
President of CENIT Foundation for Neuroscience Research.
A brief description of your work and interests in the pain field (50-100 words):
Since the beginning of my career I’ve been involved in the study and treatment of pain. As a neurosurgery professor I’ve also been involved in the teaching and training of health professionals. My advocacy work has focused on the availability of pain treatment to vulnerable populations in Argentina and Latin America establishing care programs in public hospitals to provide pain treatment for indigent people. I have served as President of the Argentinian IASP Chapter and of the Latin American Federation of IASP Chapters (FEDELAT) as well as Chair of the LAC for the IASP World Congress in Buenos Aires.
A brief statement of why you are interested in running for the position:
I have been involved in pain research, treatment, education and advocacy for 35 years. I know IASP very well having served the association in many capacities. Although I have developed many international professional activities world-wide, I have focused much of my work in the Latin American region and I can bring my experience from this region to the initiatives of IASP in this part of the world. I am also committed to the multidisciplinary character of IASP and being a neurosurgeon, I am in a good position to encourage those outside the more obvious pain specialties to contribute to IASP.
Listing of IASP activities including current and prior IASP committees, working groups, task forces, or SIG leadership groups on which you have served:
• IASP member since 2002.
• Member of the "IASP Membership and Chapters Committee”, (2009-2012).
• IASP Visiting Professor, San Pedro Sula, Honduras, 2012.
• President of the Argentinian IASP Chapter "Asociación Argentina para el Estudio del Dolor (2007-2009). I also held previous positions as Councilor, Scientific Secretary and General Secretary of the Chapter.
• President of FEDELAT "Federación Latinoamericana de Asociaciones para el Estudio del Dolor" (2011- 2014) achieving the inclusion of all Latin American IASP Chapters into FEDELAT.
• Chair of Local Arrangements Committee (LAC), 15th World Congress on Pain, Buenos Aires 2014.
• Member of Scientific Programme Committee (SPC) of 15thWorld Congress on Pain, Buenos Aires 2014.
• Invited Professor, “First Latin American IASP-Pain CAMP”, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2014.
• Member of the "IASP Developing Countries Working Group” (2015- 2018).
• Member of the "IASP Committee on Committees, from 2015.
• Invited Professor, “Second Latin American IASP-Pain CAMP”, Mexico City, 2016.
• Invited Professor, “Third Latin American IASP-Pain CAMP”, Santiago de Chile, 2018.
• Member of the "IASP Membership and Chapters Committee", from 2018.