Secretary Candidate: Mary Suma Cardosa, MBBS, MMed (Anaes), FANZCA, FFPMANZCA
Current professional title(s) and affiliations
Visiting Consultant Pain Specialist, Selayang Hospital, Selangor, Malaysia
A brief description of your work and interests in the pain field:
I have done pioneering work in developing pain services in Malaysia, setting up the first Acute Pain Service (1993), the first Multidisciplinary Pain Clinic (2000) in the Ministry of Health (MOH), and the first cognitive behavior therapy-based pain management program in Southeast Asia in Selayang Hospital (2002). I was the key person in the implementation of “Pain as the 5th Vital Sign”, and “Pain Free Hospital” programs in the MOH. For the past two decades I have been carrying out pain education and training in Malaysia and many Southeast Asian countries.
A brief statement of why you are interested in running for the position:
I have been in the IASP Council since 2014 and have been able to contribute significantly to IASP’s work, in particular with regard to pain education and services in developing countries. A position in the executive will allow me to further this work, and at the same time strengthen the voice of pain leaders from the developing world in the IASP leadership. Having retired from full time clinical work, I now have more time for IASP, while still having the necessary drive and energy!
Listing of IASP activities including current and prior IASP committees, working groups, task forces, or SIG leadership groups on which you have served:
• Chair, IASP Developing Countries Working Group
• Member of search committee for IASP CEO
• Lead of Advisory Group, IASP Project on “Multidisciplinary Pain Center Toolkit”
• Member of:
o Task Force on IASP Statement on Opioids (2017-2019)
o Nominations committee (2018)
o Advisory board for the Journal Pain (2013-2015)
o Developing Countries Working Group
o Membership committee
o Scientific Program Committee for World Congress on Pain (2010 and 2012)
o Financial aid committee for WCP (2012, 2014, 2016)
o Steering committee for the International Summit on Pain, Montreal, 2010
• Council liaison for SIG on Pain in Childhood; Chair of Local Organising committee, 11th International Symposium on Paediatric Pain (ISPP), 2017
• Faculty member of the 1st to 5th IASP Southeast Asia Pain Camps (2011 – 2019). Course Director of 5th Pain Camp in 2019.
• Council member of ASEAPS
• President of Malaysian Association for the Study of Pain (MASP)